Booting Linux on Vadem Clio

To: <linuxce-devel@linuxce.org>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Booting Linux on Vadem Clio
From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad@ltc.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:26:14 -0400
Here is my story.  So far...

1.  I've been able build and run simple cross-compiled programs on my Vadem
Clio, loading them using pbsdboot (a bootloader developed for loading NetBSD
on a WindowsCE device) with a lot of help from Mike Klar (thank you Mike)
and his LinuxCE-MIPS page at
http://www.hacksrus.com/~mike/lince/lince-mips.htm.  Also, thank you Ralf
for making those cross-compiler binaries available.  For the record, the
Clio's processor is Vr4111, and I've been treating it like a R3000.

2.  I've been able to cross-compile the linux kernel 2.3.9 from SGI CVS
configured for DECStation with only a few warnings.

3.  I've created a ce directory under mips, added ce stuff to config.in and
arch/mips/Makefile, re-run 'make config' and picked CE, and re-run 'make
dep'.  All seems to work just fine.

4.  I've created an init.c that defines those three required prom functions.

5.  I've put some code into my prom_init that should clear the screen and
write some text to it (using simple functions that I've tested with simple
programs that run fine loaded with pbsdboot).

6.  I've built vmlinux, stripped it, attempted to load it using
pbsdboot.exe, and...

A big drumroll please...

7.  It flops (stripped or not stripped BTW).  :(

It appears that my code in prom_init never gets called.  I've even put some
really simple code in prom_init that should just make an LED on the Clio
flash.  Still, nothing.

I watch it, and my init.o code is getting linked in, so that's not the
problem (it wouldn't link without it either).

>From what I can tell, prom_init should get called from head.S before jal
start_kernel.  What am I missing?

I'm getting stuck in trying to understand ld.script.little and head.S.
Where can I go from here?  Any suggestions?  Any advice about
understanding/working with head.S?

Regards,
Brad