Re: MIPS Linux for RM200 (no-PCI)

To: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Subject: Re: MIPS Linux for RM200 (no-PCI)
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:45:54 +0200
Cc: "Denis A. Doroshenko" <cyxob@tipas.lt>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 12:04:32AM +0200, Richard van den Berg wrote:

> The RM200 still isn't officially supported. More up to date info is on
> these pages (and you find more links on these pages too):
> http://www.linux.sgi.com/
> http://decstation.unix-ag.org/
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~vhouten/mipsel/
> http://www.inter.nl.net/users/schnecke/mips/

Just to give a status update about the RM200 - I've got severe trouble
with the ASIC PCI or the Intel chipset used in the system.  What happens
is that after some time one or more interrupts of those which are
routed via the PC style PICs freeze.  That's nasty if it hits the
keyboard but it's almost fatal if it freezes the timer interrupt.

The cause seems to be that various buffers in the system may delay the
writes to the PICs for a very long time.  That's a known problem but
somehow the workaround from the SINIX sources doesn't seem to be sufficient
for Linux.  It's driving me nuts, the RM200C might well be the most solid
Linux port otherwise ...