Re: Tandem 4440/A ??

To: "R.Charles Sweeten" <alpha@rasgroup.rasgroup.com>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Tandem 4440/A ??
From: Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:17:45 -0600
Sender: alhaz@fnet.fr
        I've personally never heard of them, but they sound strikingly similar
to the original Jazz platform.

        Are you sure the video is EISA? The Jazz frame buffer uses an EISA type
card edge connector but it is not in line with the backplane - mostly
because it's a proprietary interface.

        Also - chances are that 13w3 uses the SGI pinout, which is
substantially different from the Sun pinout. If your Sun monitors are
analog signaled (not ECL as would be found on Sun3 systems) they might
work, after the connector has been rewired.

        The most notable difference, aside from the pin assignment, is that Sun
uses composite sync and SGI does not. This could be a problem if your
Sun monitors expect composite sync.

        Also, if this is Jazz derived, the memory would most definately be
parity. The Magnum 4000/pc (reference Jazz design) is tremendously picky
about it's memory.

        Incedentally, Mips Co. has been clock doubling for ages, but it took
Intel to make it popular. the 50Mhz refers to the external clock - the
chip is 100Mhz internally. Until Intel started doing it, most other chip
makers didn't think an internal clock was something to brag about. At
least, this was the case with Mips and I believe AMD AM29000 chips.

        $5 is a pretty good deal - that's how much my Magnum cost me.

 - eric