Tandem 4440/A ??

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Tandem 4440/A ??
From: "R.Charles Sweeten" <alpha@rasgroup.rasgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 13:55:28 -0500 (CDT)
Gents & Ladies,

I recently aquired two (2) computer systems that I can't seem to find any
information on.  The are tagged "Tandem" and the model number is stated as
"4440/A".  They are MIPS R4000 based{50Mhz??} and have the phrase
"ARCSystems" printed all over the place.  They're EISA all the way.  This
leads me to believe that Linux/MIPS should work.

I have several questions, if I may.

Have you ever heard of theses??  I haven't been able to find any info on
them from Tandem's site.
Could they be another make and resold by Tandem??  If so, do you know what
they are or who made them?
They have a custom serial/ethernet card and a custom sound/mouse card.
Any idea if those are supported by Linux/MIPS??
They appear to have 4meg EISA based graphics cards with 13W3 connector
outputs.  Any idea if THOSE are supported by Linux/MIPS??  If so, can you
point me at the information on the cards?{I've got some mono Sun monitors.
would they work?}
When booting, does the system output to tty01 as well as the console??
Do you know what kind of memory they take??  One had two sticks left in
it{hiding under a 105Mb scsi drive.  hehehe} and it seems to be regular
old RAM.  Not even parity.  Does this sound right?

I would love to have any reference to these machines that you could point
me at?  They seem to have been scuttled but dont look in bad shape.  I'd
REALLY like to turn both of them into working linux boxes.{it would just
have a high kewl-factor}  And the fact that I only paid $5 apiece only
sweetens the deal.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanx,