Re: bootp a Dec5000/240

To: damos.yum@usa.net
Subject: Re: bootp a Dec5000/240
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 19:40:58 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Just rereading - I had a similar problem - Bootpserver a Linux 2.2.x machine ?

It seems more like a DECstation issue.

> The Decstations seem not to answer on Arp request during tftp download
> so after 10-20 seconds the download stops because the arp entry expires.
> I have hardcoded my decstations in the arp cache to boot from 2.2.

What I have observed with the 5k/25 and /133 is that the arp entry on the
server gets updated when the DECstation (re)starts and all goes well when
the machine continues with a netboot. Leave either machine at the console
prompt long enough so the arp entry expires - if it exists, issue a `boot`
command and the DECstation reports a time-out.

> arp -s 10.1.1.11 08:00:2b:28:f0:a3
> arp -s 10.1.1.12 08:00:2b:37:60:37

Indeed, I made a script for each machine that does that.

Regards,
Richard