Re: bootp a Dec5000/240

To: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Subject: Re: bootp a Dec5000/240
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 13:06:40 +0200
Cc: damos.yum@usa.net, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: flo@mini.gt.owl.de
On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 09:34:52PM +0200, Richard van den Berg wrote:

> > I have recently followed the instructions from the DECStation Linux
> > installation HOWTO site setting up the boot and root FS server.  I am using
> > a alpha 500 running unix 4.0d as a server from which to boot the DEC
> > station.
> >
> > I have followed all the steps thus far to the point of configuring the
> > bootptab. This is how I configured it so far:
> > byron:\ //The name of my machine
> >         ::\
> >         :ht=ether:\
> >         :ha=080026301a59:\
> >         :bf=vmlinux:\
> >         :sa=10.1.0.100:\
> >         :ip=10.1.0.150:\
> >         :gw=10.1.1.2:\
> >         :sm=255.255.0.0:\
> >         :td=/linux:\
> >         :hd=/linux:\
> >

> > The problem I am encountering is that the decstation will not respond to the
> > bootp.  I was wondering if you had any ideas on what may be missing here, or
> > of any mistakes or solution that may be worth checking out.
>
> Does the DECstation produce an error message, that can be helpful too
> give us a clue. The tftp server on Linux also likes the file to be world
> readable. Meanwhile Karel has instructions for his pre-built kernel
> binairies on his site:

Just rereading - I had a similar problem - Bootpserver a Linux 2.2.x machine ?

The Decstations seem not to answer on Arp request during tftp download
so after 10-20 seconds the download stops because the arp entry expires.
I have hardcoded my decstations in the arp cache to boot from 2.2.

arp -s 10.1.1.11 08:00:2b:28:f0:a3
arp -s 10.1.1.12 08:00:2b:37:60:37

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-5241-470566
Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).  (RFC 1925)