Re: bootp a Dec5000/240

Subject: Re: bootp a Dec5000/240
From: Richard van den Berg <>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 21:34:52 +0200 (MET DST)

> I have recently followed the instructions from the DECStation Linux
> installation HOWTO site setting up the boot and root FS server.  I am using a
> a alpha 500 running unix 4.0d as a server from which to boot the DEC station.
> I have followed all the steps thus far to the point of configuring the
> bootptab. This is how I configured it so far:
> byron:\ //The name of my machine
>         ::\
>         :ht=ether:\
>         :ha=080026301a59:\
>         :bf=vmlinux:\
Where did you get that file from? Current builds produces a vmlinux.ecoff
and before it was nbImage.

>         :sa=\
>         :ip=\
>         :gw=\
>         :sm=\
>         :td=/linux:\
>         :hd=/linux:\
> The problem I am encountering is that the decstation will not respond to the
> bootp.  I was wondering if you had any ideas on what may be missing here, or
> of any mistakes or solution that may be worth checking out.

Does the DECstation produce an error message, that can be helpful too
give us a clue. The tftp server on Linux also likes the file to be world
readable. Meanwhile Karel has instructions for his pre-built kernel
binairies on his site: