Re: DECstation Linux 2.2.1 with fbcon patches ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation Linux 2.2.1 with fbcon patches ...
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:18:59 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello Michael,

> I put a 2.2.1 kernel source tree for DECstations on our ftp server in
> ftp://ftp.unix-ag.org/pub/os/linux/mips/decstation/

> This version contains a driver for the Maxine kayboard/mouse, the
> Maxine onboard frame buffer, the PMAG-BA and the PMAGB-B (this one is
> not yet tested). Caution - for the TC video cards (hack, hack), there
> is a fixed base address set in maxinefb.c resp. pmagbafb.c which eventually
> has to be modified - I'm going to fix that RSN. Please try it on your
> machines and let me know if it works for you ...

Really cool to see that little Penguin! It's exciting! (This is the
MAXine with on-board frame buffer)

A PMAGB-BA mounted in the MAXine with a kernel that only supports the
onboard frame buffer doesn't work. A kernel with only PMAGB-BA support
displays until `This is a ...' and the machines runs fine besides
that. Maybe changing the base address? I'll try that anyway.

> I forgot to take the patch against 2.2.1 with me, I'll try to upload it
> tonight.

Meanwhile it's available at http://www.inter.nl.net/users/schnecke/mips/
alert: it is against linux-2.2.1-dec.tar.gz not the CVS source.

> Known deficiencies:
> - no key repeat so far on the LK501
> - no LEDs on the LK501

 - almost no control sequences, ^O gives ^C

> - some fixed framebuffer base addresses (OK for Maxine onboard fb, not
>   for the others)
> - fixed addresses for the Access.Bus peripheral devices (NetBSD seems
>   to do it the same way ???)
> - no support for "standard" LK201/401 keyboards and VSXXX-AA/GA mice
>   on DZ or ZS so far
> - no DS2100/3100 fb support

Another remark: normal init with these kernels.

Great work guys! I like the console font, it is beautiful on a 17".

Regards,
Richard