Re: DECstation Linux 2.2.1 with fbcon patches ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation Linux 2.2.1 with fbcon patches ...
From: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 23:53:48 +0200
Douglas S. Meade wrote:

[Maxine]
> boot 3/tftp/dec video=maxinefb:on root=/dev/sdb1
> and
> boot 3/tftp/dec video=pmagbafb:on root=/dev/sdb1
>
> Both boots stop sending output to the monitor at "This Decstation is
> a Personal DS5000/xx"
>
> I don't know how much of this is relevant, but I'm using the video
> on the baseboard (not the Turbochannel), the machine is KN02-CA v2.0m

The first variant is for the onboard framebuffer. I know that this is a
dumb question, but are you sure that you have enabled the maxinefb in the
kernelconfig?

Did you compile the kernel yourself or did you take Michaels kernelimage
from decstation.unix-ag.org?

For further debugging you could try booting with an attached serial
terminal and "boot 3/tftp/dec video=maxinefb:on root=/dev/sdb1
console=ttyS0". This should give you the kernel messages on the serial
terminal. The maxinefb driver prints out several debugging messages
during initialization, so we could find out wheter it is actually called
or not.

HTH,
Karsten
--