Re: zs driver problems ...

Subject: Re: zs driver problems ...
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:38:23 +0400
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Hello Harald,

Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> Good spotted! I just tried if your hack does any harm on the DECstations,
> and guess what, it does not only work, but switching runlevels doesn't
> take unnaturally long any more! It looks like the init problems on the
> DECstations are related to this.
>
> I've done some research and found that neither drivers/sbus/char/zs.c nor
> drivers/sgi/char/sgiserial.c are having rs_wait_until_sent().
>
> After removing that from drivers/tc/zs.c everything seems to work well.

While you fixed your problems on init, you made at least new one. :-)

The difference between sunserial and DECstation zs drivers is that
sunserial uses synchronous mode while zs uses asynchronous one. Thus, zs
really needs rs_wait_until_sent to ensure we switch any modes at the
time transmitter is empty aned we don't get any garabge on the terminal.

I'd like to note you switch from easy reproducable problem to hard
reproducable one. BTW, that's the only reason I didn't send new patch
for Baget yet, zs driver still needs a lot of hacking before it becomes
functional.

Regards,
Gleb.