Re: DECstation Linux 2.2.1 with fbcon patches ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation Linux 2.2.1 with fbcon patches ...
From: "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:43:02 +0400
Michael Engel wrote:
> There is a nice schematic for connecting a PC keyboard to a Sparc (which
> also uses a serial port for kbd and mouse), I'll have to dig out the URL.
> This circuit uses a Motorola 68HC11 microcontroller.

Unfortunately, S/Linux uses own serial console implementation. I'd like
to see a solution which works with standard serial console. What I was
thinking is an intermediate driver which connects to a serial driver (in
the way ppp or slip or IrDa or whatever does) and provides neccessary
interfaces to pc_keyb (via mips kbd-ops). Perhaps, I'll need own line
discipline, but overall looks like clean solution to me.

> OTOH, you could probably try to get a LK201 or LK401 keyboard from a
> dead DEC terminal. These use a serial port running at 4800 baud and you
> could use some of our keyboard code.

I already have custom keyboard that implements standard PC scan codes
(along with ANSI codes) and might be connected via both keyboard or just
ordinary serial port. Baget/MIPS hasn't keyboard port at all, so the
only way to connect this beast is via a seria port.

Regards,
Gleb.