Re: DECstation Linux 2.2.1 with fbcon patches ...

To: (Gleb O. Raiko)
Subject: Re: DECstation Linux 2.2.1 with fbcon patches ...
From: Michael Engel <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:21:46 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi Gleb,
> Michael Engel wrote:
> >
> > I put a 2.2.1 kernel source tree for DECstations on our ftp server in
> >
> Could you upload the patch also ? I'd like to look at your keyboard
> implementation, I need a way to connect the PC compatible keyboard to a
> serial port (either VAC or Zilog and the latter I use is a slightly
> modified DECstation one).

I'll upload the patch later today, my router was acting up this morning
and I have to prepare lots of things for LinuxTag (it looks like we're
presenting Linux on almost every PowerPC system that exists ;-) - but we
also take a DECstation with us ...).

There is a nice schematic for connecting a PC keyboard to a Sparc (which
also uses a serial port for kbd and mouse), I'll have to dig out the URL.
This circuit uses a Motorola 68HC11 microcontroller.

OTOH, you could probably try to get a LK201 or LK401 keyboard from a
dead DEC terminal. These use a serial port running at 4800 baud and you
could use some of our keyboard code.