Re: DS5000/25

To: "Douglas S. Meade" <sartoris@info.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: DS5000/25
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:16:47 +0200
Cc: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 09:00:27PM -0400, Douglas S. Meade wrote:

> OK, now I tried it too.  I see.
>
> Here's a question about compile flags.  I'd like to port a little program
> called cftp, which is a very convenient ftp client for Linux.  I tried
> to get it working with ./configure && make && make install, and it
> compiles, but doesn't quite work right, asking me for passwords to
> anonymous sites, even though they are in the .cftprc file.  Should
> I add the "-mcpu=r3000 -mips1" flags to the makefile, or is something
> else likely necessary to get it to work on the DECstations.

That's actually all stuff documented in the gcc info pages ...

-mips1 is the compiler default.  -mcpu=<cpu> does instruction scheduling
optimal for <cpu>.  -mcpu however does not choose any instructions that
are not part of the current isa, that is MIPS1 in that case.  So for
example -mcpu=r8000 -mips1 will generate code optimized for the r8000
but still usable on MIPS 1 like R3000.

> I guess the general question I'm asking is: what has to be done to port a
> program from Intel Redhat Linux 5.1 to mipsel Redhat?

Usually just recompiling.  A few broken packages need fixes but most of
the just compile.  Btw, a large number 5.2 packages plus binaries are
already available on ftp.linux.sgi.com.