Re: Stable R3k DECstation kernel?

To: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Subject: Re: Stable R3k DECstation kernel?
From: "Vladimir A. Roganov" <roganov@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:20:01 +0400
Cc: linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr
Sender: vladimir@niisi.msk.ru
Richard van den Berg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there someone out there who has a stable kernel for a R3k DECstation?
> With stable I mean that it can sustain this little script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> cd <linux source dir>
>
> for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10;
> do date > ~/compile.$i;
> make clean >> ~/compile.$i 2>&1;
> nice -n 19 make -j 10 boot >> ~/compile.$i 2>&1;
> date >> ~/compile.$i;
> uptime >> ~/compile.$i;
> done
>
> The kernels I tried are build with cross-gcc 2.7.2, cross-egcs 1.0.2 and
> native egcs 1.0.2-9 (rpm from ftp.linux.sgi.com) and binutils 2.8.1. I
> also tried Karels kernel. They all let the system silently die. This is
> without using swap. Or am I asking something impossible?
>
> Regards,
> Richard

Hi, Richard !

Please sorry if this reply is not what you are waiting for, but
your script is so pretty that we have tested it during last night on
our Baget (MIPS R3000 BE, 16MB RAM diskless computer).
Saying 'virtual memory exhausted' (script invokes 10 compilers in parallel)
our system (RedHat 5.2 from 'roughcuts CD' which we just installed yesterday)
looks today quite alive and happy :-)
It indirectly shows that reason your are looking for is probably
located outside of shared code for all R3Ks.

Best wishes,
Vladimir.