Re: Stable R3k DECstation kernel?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Stable R3k DECstation kernel?
From: Michael Engel <engel@math.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:10:39 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> Is there someone out there who has a stable kernel for a R3k DECstation?
> With stable I mean that it can sustain this little script:

[...]

I'll try your script in a minute on my 5000/33.

> The kernels I tried are build with cross-gcc 2.7.2, cross-egcs 1.0.2 and
> native egcs 1.0.2-9 (rpm from ftp.linux.sgi.com) and binutils 2.8.1.

I used Karstens utils from ftp.bolug.uni-bonn.de. I had the Maxine running
X11 for some hours now but that's surely not comparable to doing lots
of compiling stuff.

> I also tried Karels kernel. They all let the system silently die. This is
> without using swap. Or am I asking something impossible?

I have another problem (which is also confirmed by Karsten) - sometimes
the native ld dies with signal 11. Upon reboot or after waiting for a
small while all seems to be ok again. I don't suspect it's a hardware
problem as the rest of the systems behaves quite well ...

regards,
        Michael