FW: RE: swapspace on DECstations?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: FW: RE: swapspace on DECstations?
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 18:14:49 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
-----FW: <Pine.LNX.3.95.990605125347.614A-100000@whale.dutch.mountain>-----

Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:54:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
To: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Subject: RE: swapspace on DECstations?

Hello Harald,

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> > Is it known that using a swap partition is a no go on DECstations,
> > garanteed to halt the system? It looks like that a swapped out process
> > doesn't get swapped back, for example a telnet session unused for a
> > while becomes dead. Compiling kernel or egcs the machine halts within
> > the hour silently, or that the compiler receives a fatal signal as the
> > last message.

> Does the attached patch help?

Unfortunatly not, activating swap makes the system still halt after a
5 minutes when swap is being used with `make -j 5 boot`.

Regards,
Richard

--------------End of forwarded message-------------------------

I am trying to reproduce the problem on my /133 but it looks as if my RZ26
is dying :-(

I got tons of read error messages and am actually low level formatting it,
so this may take a while.

---
Regards,
Harald