Re: swapspace on DECstations?

Subject: Re: swapspace on DECstations?
From: Karel van Houten <>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 17:38:06 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi all,

Harald wrote:
> Hi all,
> On 21-May-99 Richard van den Berg wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is it known that using a swap partition is a no go on DECstations,
> > garanteed to halt the system? It looks like that a swapped out process
> > doesn't get swapped back, for example a telnet session unused for a
> > while becomes dead. Compiling kernel or egcs the machine halts within
> > the hour silently, or that the compiler receives a fatal signal as the
> > last message.
> Does the attached patch help?
> ---
> Regards,
> Harald

I've tried to reproduce the swap problem on my 260, but after allocating
and using 250Mb RAM, all processes paged in quite happily.
It looks like Haralds patch is R[23]k specific. That makes sense.

Has someone tested Haralds patch? If so, please let me know, I'll update
my kernel images.

Karel van Houten