Re: NEC CPUs, PDAs and Linux

To: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Subject: Re: NEC CPUs, PDAs and Linux
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 02:17:56 -0600
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
In message <199905280739.IAA00259@gladsmuir.algor.co.uk> Dominic
Sweetman writes:
: Some people at NECEL are keen to see Linux up and running on some of
: their products, which might include evaluation boards and PDAs, with
: CPUs from the tiny ones used in hand-helds (Vr41x1) to relatively big
: ones being touted for high-end embedded (Vr54xx).

You might want to forward this to the LinuxCE folks at
        linuxce-devel@linuxce.org

: At this stage NECEL's support is likely to be moral rather than
: financial; but they should be good for loan hardware and access to
: documentation - which is often a problem with companies as large and
: complex as NEC.  And if pilot work is successful, they might want to
: spend money later.

Too bad my MobilePro 400 and 450 died.  don't have any other NEC
machines, although I do have a Everex E-10 with a Vr4102 in it.

There is also an effort to get NetBSD ported to NEC's MobileGear II
machines.  You can read about it at:
        http://www.jp.netbsd.org/ja/JP/Project/hpcmips/
They have a bootloader that will boot an ELF kernel off a FAT CF
card.  Plus NetBSD is booting to a fairly advanced stage.

I have also tried to catalog all the PDAs that are mips based at
        http://www.freebsd.org/~imp/pdamips.html
as well as links to various web sources of information from datasheets
to WinCE.

Warner