Re: DECstation fb console status report & more ...

Subject: Re: DECstation fb console status report & more ...
From: "Paul M. Antoine" <>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 09:46:29 +1000
Hi folks,

Michael Engel wrote:

> as some of you might know, Karsten Merker and I have been working on
> framebuffer console/keyboard/mouse support for the DECstations during the
> last weeks. Our work is still based on 2.1.131 and also needs lots of
> work but I wanted to give a short status report.

Thanks so much for your status report - perhaps you could also put it up on
the web site.  Reports like these are terrific for everyone, and inspire us
to do some more work on the port :-)

> What works for us now:
> - framebuffer console support for the MAXINE onboard framebuffer (1024x768
>   with 8 bit color depth)
> - Access.Bus keyboard and mouse (LK501 and VSXXX-BB/GB) - mostly. There seems
>   to be some packet loss on the Bus left ... sometimes the mouse jumps ...
> - PMAG-BA rudimentary support (color map still garbled, black text on pink
>   background ;-)) - since yesterday evening ;-) could set a whole new ergonomic standard with black text on pink
background ;-)

> - framebuffer X11 3.3.2 (?) server works with both graphics adapters

> What I'm currently working on:
> - integrating the code in 2.2.1
> - eliminating the packet loss on Access.Bus
> - keyboard/mouse driver for non-AccessBus (zs/dz-based) DECstations
> - support for the PMAGB-B graphics card
> - non US keyboard mappings
> Sorry, no patch yet but I promise to publish one as soon as I get the
> code running with 2.2.1.

It's always a struggle to keep up with kernel releases when you're doing a
big piece of development.  I'm sure we're all willing to be patient :-)_

> Any ideas what else to support are welcome. No, I don't have any docs on
> the PMAG-E and -F ;-).

I don't think anyone does... though I remember someone posting something
about one of these way back in the past...
> Additionally, we had the idea to run on a
> DECstation running Linux as this would be a nice real-world test (it's
> currently running on a Pentium-166 with FreeBSD). This should also
> happen this week and - of course - I'll also bring the web pages up
> to date (finally ... sorry, I had to get my mathematics diploma - this
> was unfortunately more important ;-)).

Paul M. Antoine                                 Millennium Engineering Pty Ltd
email:                              Phone: +61 2 9560 7331
large files:                Fax:   +61 2 9560 8708