Re: 5000/150 problem ...

Subject: Re: 5000/150 problem ...
From: Karel van Houten <>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 17:57:40 +0200 (MET DST)
Harald wrote:
> On 28-May-99 Michael Engel wrote:
> > Whats that patch exactly ?
> An additional call to rex_clear_cache() in prom_init().
> > Hmmm, funny. I can't get my 5000/150 to work correctly with any kernel I
> > tried. It always hangs after the "This is a DECstation 5000/1xx"
> > message.
> > I configured the kernel for R4000, of course (and the -N also isn't the
> > problem). Perhaps also a buggy PROM version? Which version do you have
> > in your 5000/150 ? The 5000/150 I have seems to hang just before calling
> >       jal loadmmu
> > or on return from the preceding instruction
> >       jal prom_init
> > in arch/mips/kernel/head.S as the last instruction in prom_init is
> > definitely executed (I inserted a prom_printf there) and the next one in
> > loadmmu (hacked another prom_printf in there) isn't - maybe a stack
> > problem ?
> Michael, is that with or without r2300_patch?
> If your source tree is without that patch, please apply it and tell me
> what happens. There is a small difference in stack initialisation between
> the two.

My kernel I used for the /150 has the r2300_patch, and harald extra
call to rex_clear_cache() in prom_init().
As mentioned, I used the NetBSD bootloader to get the image loaded,
but only because of the hardware problem.

You can try my images, they are available on

I can't show you the bootlog at the moment, I didn't save it,
and the system is powered-down at my office...

Karel van Houten