Re: swapspace on DECstations?

To: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Subject: Re: swapspace on DECstations?
From: Dave Airlie <airlied@csn.ul.ie>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 20:21:46 +0100 (IST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Wierd, I noticed this recently and I blamed my SCSI driver code for the
hang, nice to know it probably wasn't my fault :-),

Although my SCSI driver does crash out mke2fs for some reason ah well,
back to the hacking ...

Dave.

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Richard van den Berg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it known that using a swap partition is a no go on DECstations,
> garanteed to halt the system? It looks like that a swapped out process
> doesn't get swapped back, for example a telnet session unused for a
> while becomes dead. Compiling kernel or egcs the machine halts within
> the hour silently, or that the compiler receives a fatal signal as the
> last message.
>
> Using no swap space this is possible:
>
>  11:34pm  up 2 days,  1:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.17, 0.74, 0.93
>
> Regards,
> Richard

------------ David Airlie, David.Airlie@ul.ie,airlied@skynet --------
Telecommunications Research Centre, ECE Dept, University of Limerick \
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied   -- Telecommunications Researcher      \