Re: DECstation CDROM question

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation CDROM question
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 16:31:59 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello, Ralf

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> What format of CDROM are DECstations using for booting from?  I'm
> just pondering about the problem how to brew a CD which can be used
> both by as many systems for installation purposes as possible.  I
> believe such a hack is important for acceptance by Linux distributors.

By Jonathan Stone:

AFAIK, DECstation PROMs dont boot ISO or RockRidge CDs; you have to
burn an image of a SCSI disk (eg., scsi-disk style bootblocks plus a
UFS filesystem) onto the disk.  Other thing is that the boot PROMs
expect 512-byte sectored CDs.

You can view the whole message at:
http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=465829900

Regards,