Re: DS5000/25

Subject: Re: DS5000/25
From: Richard van den Berg <>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 17:35:37 +0200 (MET DST)
On Tue, 18 May 1999, Houten K.H.C. van (Karel) wrote:

> I have no access to a /25 system. But I was able to boot a 3100 up to
> single user mode. I haven't tried vipw, but you could try to use
> just vi /etc/passwd. Just a thought: does it help to specify the
> TERM environment variable? I know of some termcap libs that fail without.
> If I can reproduce the login problem, maybe I can find out what happens.

With inetd and portmap running and modified rc files, I am able to
login on my /33 (I swapped cpu's) with home compiled login build from
the shadow_980403 sources that Debian 2.1 uses. It gives the error

configuration error - unknown item 'CREATE_HOME' (notify administrator)

but everything else looks o.k., logs get updated.

> I hope to update the root-image in the next weeks. Things that should be
> changed are:
>   - New net-tools for 2.2 kernels

using net-tools-1.49-1

>   - mount should work on all platforms