Re: DS5000/25

To: "Douglas S. Meade" <sartoris@info.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: DS5000/25
From: "Houten K.H.C. van (Karel)" <K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 15:13:20 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, "Houten K.H.C. van" <K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com>, K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com
Hi Doug,

> Any more progress with the DS5000/25 yet?  I'm still able only
> to get into maintenance mode by commenting out all lines in
> /etc/fstab.  I suspect there is something wrong with the login
> binary, but I also had no luck with one that Karsten Merker sent
> me.  Also, how can I create a non-root user and issue a password?
> There seems to be no passwd executable in the root filesystem,
> and vipw seg faults on my machine.  Same result when I use fdisk.
>
> Thanks for any time you can spare on this.

I have no access to a /25 system. But I was able to boot a 3100 up to
single user mode. I haven't tried vipw, but you could try to use
just vi /etc/passwd. Just a thought: does it help to specify the
TERM environment variable? I know of some termcap libs that fail without.

If I can reproduce the login problem, maybe I can find out what happens.

I hope to update the root-image in the next weeks. Things that should be
changed are:
  - New net-tools for 2.2 kernels
  - mount should work on all platforms
  - login should work on all platforms