RE: login problems again ... (DS 5000)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: login problems again ... (DS 5000)
From: Dave Airlie <airlied@csn.ul.ie>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 20:47:41 +0100 (IST)
Right I got a login compiled that works, it's not the standard util-linux
login binary, so maybe someone can put this as a question in a HOWTO or
FAQ,

-- cut--here---
x.x Login doesn't work?

There is some really wierd problems with login on the standard NFS root
system. This can sometimes be solved by re-compiling the login binary from
the util-linux SRPM from the ftp.linux.sgi.com FTP site, if this doesn't
work for you grab, the SimplePAMApps package from

ftp.xx.kernel.org:/pub/linux/libs/pam/pre/applications/SimplePAMApps-0.59.tar.gz

Do a
./configure --without-pniam --without-pwdb
make

Make will stop somewhere in the su subdir with errors, then do

cd pamapps/login
make
cp login /bin/login
chmod u+s 4711 /bin/login

-- and here---

And tada your login binary should work ...

Dave.

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11-May-99 Dave Airlie wrote:
> >
> > I'm giving up on trying to track that login bug down, it's very wierd is
> > all I can say, just some things I've noticed while looking for it..
>
> If anything else fails, I'll try to reproduce how I got this working for
> my /133. Sorry, but I can't remember how I did it.
>
> ---
> Regards,
> Harald

------------ David Airlie, David.Airlie@ul.ie,airlied@skynet --------
Telecommunications Research Centre, ECE Dept, University of Limerick \
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied   -- Telecommunications Researcher      \