Re: login problem in declinux-root ??

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: login problem in declinux-root ??
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:38:40 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi Dave,

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Dave Airlie wrote:

> Can you send me your current fstab and rc.sysinit??

My current /etc/fstab has the same effect as `rm -f /etc/fstab;
touch /etc/fstab`, comment out line 9 of rc.sysinit if you don't have
/usr/sbin/rdate, is my solution to shut up make, and I have attached
/root/starten which get used. Order of mounting /proc and / is significant
if you like to have a correctly updated /etc/mtab.

> I think I've throughly messed my own ones up now ..

It has to be a mess before things can become clean.

> This is very wierd ... has anyone any ideas what might be causing this
> problem?

Some piece of hardware called DECstation... :-) Honestly, I'm clueless
right now and also spending more time on math and physics then on
DECstation stuff.

Regards,
Richard
#! /bin/sh
#
# /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - run once at boot time
#
# Taken in part from Miquel van Smoorenburg's bcheckrc.
#

# zet de tijd goed, is make tevreden
/usr/sbin/rdate 192.168.1.1

# Set the path
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
export PATH

# Read in config data.
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/network ]; then
    . /etc/sysconfig/network
else
    NETWORKING=no
    HOSTNAME=localhost
fi

# Start up swapping.
echo "Activating swap partitions"
swapon -a

# Set the hostname.
hostname ${HOSTNAME}
echo hostname: `hostname`

# Set the NIS domain name
if [ -n "$NISDOMAIN" ]; then
    domainname $NISDOMAIN
else
    domainname ""
fi

if [ -f /fsckoptions ]; then
        fsckoptions=`cat /fsckoptions`
    else
        fsckoptions=''
fi

# zodat het ook eerder te zien valt
# dmesg > /var/log/dmesg

# /usr/sbin/inetd

if [ ! -f /fastboot ]; then
        echo "Checking root filesystems."
        fsck -V -a $fsckoptions /

        rc=$?

        # A return of 2 or higher means there were serious problems.
        if [ $rc -gt 1 ]; then
                echo
                echo
                echo "*** An error occurred during the file system check."
                echo "*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot"
                echo "*** when you leave the shell."

                PS1="(Repair filesystem) \#"; export PS1
        /usr/sbin/inetd
        /usr/sbin/portmap
        /root/starten
                sulogin

                echo "Unmounting file systems"
                umount -a
                mount -n -o remount,ro /
                echo "Automatic reboot in progress."
                reboot
        elif [ "$rc" = "1" -a -x /sbin/quotacheck ]; then
                echo "Checking root filesystem quotas"
                /sbin/quotacheck -v /
        fi
fi

# if [ -x /sbin/quotaon ]; then
#     echo "Turning on user and group quotas for root filesystem"
#     /sbin/quotaon /
# fi

# check for arguments

# mount -t proc /proc /proc
# if grep -i nopnp /proc/cmdline >/dev/null ; then
#     PNP=
# else
#     PNP=yes
# fi

# set up pnp
# if [ -x /sbin/isapnp -a -f /etc/isapnp.conf ]; then
#     if [ -n "$PNP" ]; then
#       echo "Setting up ISA PNP devices"
#       /sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
#     else
#       echo "Skipping ISA PNP configuration at users request"
#     fi
# fi

# Remount the root filesystem read-write.
# Not for NFS root.
echo "Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode."
mount -n -o remount,rw /

# if [ ! -f /etc/HOSTNAME ]; then
#     echo ${HOSTNAME} > /etc/HOSTNAME
# fi

# Clear mtab
>/etc/mtab

# Enter root and /proc into mtab.
mount -f /
mount -f /proc

# if [ -f /proc/ksyms ]; then
#     USEMODULES=y
# else
#     USEMODULES=
# fi

# Set up kernel version-dependent symlinks.
# rm -f /lib/modules/preferred
# if [ -n $USEMODULES ]; then
#     ktag="`cat /proc/version`"
#     mtag=`grep -l "$ktag" /lib/modules/2.0.*/.rhkmvtag 2>/dev/null`
#     if [ -n "$mtag" ]; then
#       mver=`echo $mtag | sed -e 's,/lib/modules/,,' -e 's,/.rhkmvtag,,'`
#       ln -sf /lib/modules/$mver /lib/modules/preferred
#       ln -sf /boot/System.map-$mver /boot/System.map
#       ln -sf /boot/module-info-$mver /boot/module-info
#     fi
# fi

# if [ -x /sbin/depmod -a -n "$USEMODULES" -a ! -f /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe ];
then
#     # Get ready for kerneld if module support in the kernel
#     echo -n "Finding module dependencies... "
#     if [ -e /lib/modules/preferred ]; then
#       depmod -a preferred
#     else
#       depmod -a
#     fi
#     echo "done"
# fi

# load sound modules
# if ! grep -i nomodules /proc/cmdline >/dev/null ; then
#     if [ -n "$USEMODULES" ]; then
#       if grep -s "alias sound" /etc/conf.modules > /dev/null ; then
#           modprobe sound
#           if grep -s "alias midi" /etc/conf.modules > /dev/null ; then
#               modprobe midi
#           fi
#       fi
#     fi
# fi

# if [ -x /sbin/kerneld -a -n "$USEMODULES" ]; then
#     if [ -f /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe ]; then
        # /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe indicates built-in kmod instead
#       echo "/sbin/modprobe" > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
#     else
#       /sbin/kerneld
#       KERNELD=yes
#     fi
# fi

# Check filesystems
if [ ! -f /fastboot ]; then
        echo "Checking filesystems."
        fsck -R -A -V -a $fsckoptions

        rc=$?

        # A return of 2 or higher means there were serious problems.
        if [ $rc -gt 1 ]; then
                echo
                echo
                echo "*** An error occurred during the file system check."
                echo "*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot"
                echo "*** when you leave the shell."

                PS1="(Repair filesystem) \#"; export PS1
                sulogin

                echo "Unmounting file systems"
                umount -a
                mount -n -o remount,ro /
                echo "Automatic reboot in progress."
                reboot
        elif [ "$rc" = "1" -a -x /sbin/quotacheck ]; then
                echo "Checking filesystem quotas"
                /sbin/quotacheck -v -R -a
        fi
fi

# Mount all other filesystems (except for NFS and /proc, which is already
# mounted). Contrary to standard usage,
# filesystems are NOT unmounted in single user mode.
echo "Mounting local filesystems."
mount -a -t nonfs,proc

# set the console font
# if [ -x /sbin/setsysfont ]; then
#     /sbin/setsysfont
# fi

# if [ -x /sbin/quotaon ]; then
#     echo "Turning on user and group quotas for local filesystems"
#     /sbin/quotaon -a
# fi

# Clean out /etc.
rm -f /etc/mtab~ /fastboot /fsckoptions
>/var/run/utmp

# Delete UUCP lock files.
rm -f /var/lock/LCK*

# Delete stale subsystem files.
rm -f /var/lock/subsys/*

if [ -n "$KERNELD" ]; then
    touch /var/lock/subsys/kerneld
fi

# Delete stale pid files
rm -f /var/run/*.pid

# Delete X locks
rm -f /tmp/.X*-lock

# Set the system clock.
echo -n "Setting clock"

# ARC=0
# UTC=0
# if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/clock ]; then
#     . /etc/sysconfig/clock
#
    # convert old style clock config to new values
#     if [ "${CLOCKMODE}" = "GMT" ]; then
#           UTC=true
#     elif [ "${CLOCKMODE}" = "ARC" ]; then
#           ARC=true
#     fi
# fi

# if [ -x /sbin/hwclock ]; then
#     CLOCKFLAGS="--hctosys"
#     CLOCK=/sbin/hwclock
# else
#     CLOCKFLAGS="-a"
#     CLOCK=/sbin/clock
# fi

# case "$UTC" in
#   yes|true)
#     CLOCKFLAGS="$CLOCKFLAGS -u";
#     echo -n " (utc)"
#   ;;
# esac

# case "$ARC" in
#   yes|true)
#     CLOCKFLAGS="$CLOCKFLAGS -A";
#     echo -n " (arc)"
#   ;;
# esac

# echo -n ": "
# if [ -x "$CLOCK" ]; then
#     $CLOCK $CLOCKFLAGS
# fi

date

# Right, now turn on swap in case we swap to files.
echo "Enabling swap space."
# swapon -a 2>&1 | grep -v "busy"

# Initialize the serial ports.
# if [ -f /etc/rc.d/rc.serial ]; then
#       . /etc/rc.d/rc.serial
# fi

# Load modules (for backward compatibility with VARs)
# if [ -f /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ]; then
#       /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
# fi

# If a SCSI tape has been detected, load the st module unconditionally
# since many SCSI tapes don't deal well with st being loaded and unloaded
# if [ -f /proc/scsi/scsi ] && cat /proc/scsi/scsi | grep -q 'Type:
Sequential-Access' 2>/dev/null ; then
#       if cat /proc/devices | grep -qv ' 9 st' ; then
#               if [ -n "$USEMODULES" ] ; then
#                       # Try to load the module.  If it fails, ignore it...
#                       modprobe st 2>/dev/null
#               fi
#       fi
# fi

# Now that we have all of our basic modules loaded and the kernel going,
# let's dump the syslog ring somewhere so we can find it later
dmesg > /var/log/dmesg

# tijdelijke hack, kijken of rlogin zo wel werkt
# /usr/sbin/inetd

# Feed entropy into the entropy pool
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/random start
#!/bin/sh

/bin/mount -t nfs -n -o rw,remount whale:/home/ftp/MAXine /

/bin/rm -f /etc/mtab

/bin/mount -t proc /proc /proc/
/bin/mount -t nfs -o rw,remount whale:/home/ftp/MAXine /
/bin/mount -t nfs whale:/home/ravdberg/mips/Debian/ /usr/src/debian/