Linux on an SGI

To: "'linux-mips@fnet.fr'" <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Linux on an SGI
From: Rogers Richardson <Rogers_Richardson@bourns.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 16:13:51 -0700
I have been to the web page
http://www.village.org/villagers/imp/linux-mips-faq.html and read what was
going on at the time of the last update in 1996.

I would like to put Linux on our SGI R4000 machine.  From the following
information from the above web page reference; drivers etc were not
complete.  Has this been done?  Is Linux possible on my SGI now?

On what hardware will it run?

Linux/MIPS will run on most ARC (ARC = Advanced Risc Computing) compliant
systems equipped with Mips R4x00 processors. A port to older MIPS
microprocessors is now in progress. Ports to the following systems are in
progress:

*Acer PICA-61
(R4400, 134/150 MHz CPU clock, up to 2 MB L2 cache, on-board video, SCSI,
ethernet and serial/parallel I/O plus 5 free ISA slots) *DECStation 5000/2x,
5000/100, 3100, and others. (a.k.a. PMAX, all R3000 based) *Deskstation
rPC44
(R4400 100 MHz CPU clock, up to 2 MB L2 cache, 5 free EISA slots) *Mips
Magnum 4000PC
(R4000, 100 MHz CPU clock, on-board video, SCSI, ethernet
and serial/parallel I/O plus 4 free EISA slots) *Olivetti M700-10
(R4000, 100 MHz CPU clock, on-board video, SCSI, ethernet
and serial/parallel I/O plus 4 free EISA slots) *RM200
(R4600, 133MHz CPU clock, on-board video, SCSI, ethernet, serial/parallel
I/O, 2 EISA and 3 PCI slots.

*Onboard drivers.
For Acer Pica, Magnum 4000 and Olivetti boards there are currently no
drivers available for the onboard peripherals except for the floppy driver.
Since these missing driver will still have to be written, ISA/EISA
peripherals that are left from some old PC are a good workaround for now.

Thanks,

Rogers
Tele:801-786-6312
Fax:801-786-6267