Re: DECStation Blues

To: <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Re: DECStation Blues
From: "C J Rice" <cjrice@cdc.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 17:25:20 -0400
I do have a 3100.  Apparently I should be building with the .config option
to use dz.c.  Could you provide a copy of your .config file ?

All the builds I have done myself hang up after displaying This Decsations
is a 2100/3100.  By hang up, I mean they no longer display any messages on
the display and don't do anything via serial port.  I can, however ping the
box.  A telnet looks promising, but is dismissed by the unknown host ??

On the other hand, I downloaded a boot image nbimageR3-2_2_1 and it does
quite a lot more.  I can not enter any commands on the keyboard or serial
port.  However, when I first started with it, it got as far as an NFS mount
failure.  After some reading, I managed to get my export right (I think) and
the NFS mount was apparently successful (no errors on monitor).  I was not
able to definitively verify it was successful from the server (not knowing
how to look).  Does the mount command show all nfs mounted volumes?  If is
does, the mount failed with no indication from the mips box.  The mips boot
continued after the nfs mount and ended with the error message "kmod: failed
to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k char-major-4, errno=2 ".  Any info would be
appreciated to get a little fearther.

JEFF