Re: DECStation Blues

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation Blues
From: Dave Airlie <airlied@csn.ul.ie>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:44:18 +0100 (IST)
> the setenv console 8 and then boot -f tftp() "console=ttyS3 single rw" and

I'm think ttyS2 is the one you need, ttyS0 is keyboard/mouse port, 1 is
printer and 2 is serial console (I think!!!),

On my DS5000/200 I have no graphics card at the moment, and all I do on it
is boot 6/tftp and I don't pass command line at all and it seems to work,
(I've messed with init.d scripts)...

so as a recap you plug the serial line into port 3 which should be ttyS2
.... I recommend moving over to a full serial console with the
setenv console s ( I think again)... at least until framebuffer and stuff
support arrives ..

Dave.

> all I get are the 3 lines on the DECStatio head.  No action on either serial
> port.  Sure is an odd thing to set console to (eight).  Should I try the
> release you referenced?  Are you aware of specific differences in source to
> explain this behavior?  The MMJ cable that I am using has worked for other
> uses, so I don't suspect it.
>
> On a related note, what is the pinout for the DECStation 5000 so that I can
> give one of them a whirl?  Don't have any connectors for a keyboard / mouse.
>
> Again, thanks
>
> JEFF

------------ David Airlie, David.Airlie@ul.ie,airlied@skynet --------
Telecommunications Research Centre, ECE Dept, University of Limerick \
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied   -- Telecommunications Researcher      \