Re: DECStation Blues

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation Blues
From: "Houten K.H.C. van (Karel)" <K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:27:04 +0200
Cc: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com
C J Rice writes:
>I would appreciate some specific ino on boot prompt commands for the 3100.
>This is most likely where I am fouled up.  In particular, should I be able
>to switch the console so that console commands are typed via the serial port
>on the 3100?
My 3100 manual tells me that the command to select the console on the
standard serial console port (== printer port!, not communications port),
is "setenv console 8"

>I was booting via the console on the monitor / keyboard.  Once I tried a the
>console= it just seems to hang (i.e. no more info on the monitor after a
>point).  If I am lucky, it is spewing out a serial port happily waiting for
>input.
>
>So, some specific 3100 info would really help me.
try the following boot command:
boot -f tftp() "console=ttyS3 single rw"

Assuming you use my declinuxroot-990128.tgz, which likes to have
its root FS mounted read-write.
I had indeed some trouble getting the serial port running on the 3100,
and running getty made the system panic. But single user should be OK.

>Thanks for all the support.
>
>JEFF

Regards,
Karel.