Dallas clock chip , (was Re: DS5000/25 )

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Dallas clock chip , (was Re: DS5000/25 )
From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr@baby-dragons.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:36:30 -0700 (PDT)
        Hello All, this looks like it should lend itself to a
        calculation instead of a hard set .  Hth, JimL

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Harald Koerfgen wrote:
> Fellow DECstaion hackers,
> On 23-Apr-99 Matt Foster wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to reset the system clock on
> > the DS5000?  Every time I boot I loose about 400 days.
> > netdate won't compile, xntpd at least managed to build
> > ntpdate, but ntpdate won't sync against molnir.  (I think
> > it thinks molnir is stratum 16).  Just resetting the hardware
> > clock from the boot prom would do, I can work getting ntp working
> > but 400 odd days is a bit much ........
>
> Only God knows why, but the DECstation engineers decided to use that
> wonderful Dallas clock chip as a TOY (Time Of Year clock) :-(.
>
> The year register in the clock chip may only contain 70 71 or 72,
> otherwise the PROM will report a self test error and reset this register.
>
> As a consequence of that, you'll have to change the offset which is added
> to the year register every two years. Well, it seems as if the time is
> ripe.
>
> People, please change the line
>
>         year += 1925;

>         year += 1927;
>
> in arch/mips/dec/time.c.
>
> Hope this helps.
> ---
> Regards,
> Harald

       | James   W.   Laferriere | System   Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 25416       22nd So |   Give me Linux |
       | babydr@baby-dragons.com | DesMoines  WA 98198 |     only on AXP |