Re: DS5000/25

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DS5000/25
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:00:24 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Fellow DECstaion hackers,

On 23-Apr-99 Matt Foster wrote:
> Does anyone know how to reset the system clock on
> the DS5000?  Every time I boot I loose about 400 days.
> netdate won't compile, xntpd at least managed to build
> ntpdate, but ntpdate won't sync against molnir.  (I think
> it thinks molnir is stratum 16).  Just resetting the hardware
> clock from the boot prom would do, I can work getting ntp working
> but 400 odd days is a bit much ........

Only God knows why, but the DECstation engineers decided to use that
wonderful Dallas clock chip as a TOY (Time Of Year clock) :-(.

The year register in the clock chip may only contain 70 71 or 72,
otherwise the PROM will report a self test error and reset this register.

As a consequence of that, you'll have to change the offset which is added
to the year register every two years. Well, it seems as if the time is
ripe.

People, please change the line

        year += 1925;

        year += 1927;