Re: I am planning to port it to a NEC MIPS handheld device

To: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Subject: Re: I am planning to port it to a NEC MIPS handheld device
From: Ralf Baechle <ralfb@masala.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:05:15 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, Angelo Capili <acapili@hns.com>
On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 06:02:03PM +0200, Richard van den Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Angelo Capili wrote:
>
> > Im also trying to port linux to an embedded MIPs board.  What's the
> > minimum amount of RAM and disk space needed to do this?
>
> >From the Linux MIPS Howto:
>
>   8.1.  Diskspace requirements
>
>   For the installation you'll have to choose a directory for
>   installation. I'll refer to that directory below with <prefix>.  To
>   avoid a certain problem it's best to use the same value for <prefix>
>   as your native gcc.  For example if your gcc is installed in
>   /usr/bin/gcc then choose /usr for <prefix>.  You must use the same
>   <prefix> value for all the packages that you're going to install.
>
>   During compilation you'll need about 31mb diskspace for binutils; for
>   installation you'll need 7mb diskspace for on <prefix>'s partition.
>   Building egcs requires 71mb and installation 14mb.  GNU libc requires
>   149mb diskspace during compilation and 33mb for installation. Note
>   these numbers are just a guideline and may differ significantly for
>   different processor and operating system architectures.

Note that the FAQ only refers to the amount of diskspace required.  The
crosscompiler kit runs reasonably on a 8mb machine running Linux.  The
amount of disk / memory needed on the MIPS machine is usually somewhat
higher mostly due to the RISC-bonus in code size; a small embedded
system could even run from just a few mb of flash.