Re: DS5000/25

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DS5000/25
From: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com (Karel van Houten)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:37:54 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com (Houten K.H.C. van )
Hi Doug,

> Hi all,
>
> I've already posted some questions and received excellent help from
> Richard and Karel, but I thought that this might be relevant to this
> group.  I'm trying to get up and running with the 2.2.1-dec kernel
> and the root system in declinuxroot-990128.tgz.  I've got several
> strange quirks I'm trying to deal with.
>
> 1. If I take the root system in declinuxroot as is, I get a lot
> of complaints about unable to write to read-only file system, especially
> files in the /var directories, for instance, when trying to write to
> /etc/mtab, /var/run/utmp, /var/log/dmesg and /var/lock/subsys/random.
> When it gets to the point of trying to set up getty, it goes into a
> loop:
>
> 02/11 22:23:22 yS2  mgetty: experimental test release 1.1.14-Apr02
> 02/11 22:23:22 yS2  can't create pid file /var/run/mg-pid.ttyS2: Read-only
> file
> system
> 02/11 22:23:22 yS2  can't chmod() pid file: Read-only file system
> 02/11 22:23:22 yS2  check for lockfiles
> 02/11 22:23:22 yS2  locking the line
> 02/11 22:23:22 yS2  cannot create tempfile (/var/lock/LCK..TM.a00107):
> Read-only file system
>
> Or else it hangs earlier than this.
>
> 2. I can uncomment the lines 95,96 in rc.sysinit that allow the root file
> system to be remounted read-write, and these errors go away, but then
> the init gets to the end of the sysinit and stops at "System is ready".
> At this point, I can't type at the console, nor can I telnet in, although
> it looks like the inetd has started correctly, and my network config
> files seem to be set up correctly.
I've got the same effect on my console port. My way to log in is:

After "System is ready", press <return>, then send a BREAK
(CRTL-\ B in kermit), and you should get the login prompt.
Then enter "root", <return>, wait a while, and send a BREAK again.
after that, all is normal. This assumes you have full modem control
on your terminal, or you fake the correct signals on the console port.

> 3. Taking a suggestion from Richard, I comment out all lines in fstab,
> let the system complain, and drop me into maintenance mode.  Here I
> can manually start inetd, and get as far with telnet as:
>
> Kernel 2.2.1 on a mips
> Connection closed by foreign host
>
> (I upgraded the system with the net-tools this morning, as suggested
> by Karel in a post today.  I used the root= export/root and --ignorearch
> options.  It should have installed correctly?)

I'll try it in the next days on another 5000.

> 4. As found by Matt Foster, I can "rsh <systemname> /bin/bash", and it
> reports success.  But rlogin gives the same result as telnet.

You'll here from me.

--
Karel van Houten