Re: I am planning to port it to a NEC MIPS handheld device

To:, Angelo Capili <>
Subject: Re: I am planning to port it to a NEC MIPS handheld device
From: Richard van den Berg <>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:02:03 +0200 (MET DST)
On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Angelo Capili wrote:

> Im also trying to port linux to an embedded MIPs board.  What's the
> minimum amount of RAM and disk space needed to do this?

>From the Linux MIPS Howto:

  8.1.  Diskspace requirements

  For the installation you'll have to choose a directory for
  installation. I'll refer to that directory below with <prefix>.  To
  avoid a certain problem it's best to use the same value for <prefix>
  as your native gcc.  For example if your gcc is installed in
  /usr/bin/gcc then choose /usr for <prefix>.  You must use the same
  <prefix> value for all the packages that you're going to install.

  During compilation you'll need about 31mb diskspace for binutils; for
  installation you'll need 7mb diskspace for on <prefix>'s partition.
  Building egcs requires 71mb and installation 14mb.  GNU libc requires
  149mb diskspace during compilation and 33mb for installation. Note
  these numbers are just a guideline and may differ significantly for
  different processor and operating system architectures.