Re: DS5000/25

To: Linux Mips News Groups <linux-mips@guadalquivir.fnet.fr>
Subject: Re: DS5000/25
From: "Douglas S. Meade" <sartoris@umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:18:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

I've already posted some questions and received excellent help from
Richard and Karel, but I thought that this might be relevant to this
group.  I'm trying to get up and running with the 2.2.1-dec kernel
and the root system in declinuxroot-990128.tgz.  I've got several
strange quirks I'm trying to deal with.

1. If I take the root system in declinuxroot as is, I get a lot
of complaints about unable to write to read-only file system, especially
files in the /var directories, for instance, when trying to write to
/etc/mtab, /var/run/utmp, /var/log/dmesg and /var/lock/subsys/random.
When it gets to the point of trying to set up getty, it goes into a
loop:

02/11 22:23:22 yS2  mgetty: experimental test release 1.1.14-Apr02
02/11 22:23:22 yS2  can't create pid file /var/run/mg-pid.ttyS2: Read-only
file
system
02/11 22:23:22 yS2  can't chmod() pid file: Read-only file system
02/11 22:23:22 yS2  check for lockfiles
02/11 22:23:22 yS2  locking the line
02/11 22:23:22 yS2  cannot create tempfile (/var/lock/LCK..TM.a00107):
Read-only file system

Or else it hangs earlier than this.

2. I can uncomment the lines 95,96 in rc.sysinit that allow the root file
system to be remounted read-write, and these errors go away, but then
the init gets to the end of the sysinit and stops at "System is ready".
At this point, I can't type at the console, nor can I telnet in, although
it looks like the inetd has started correctly, and my network config
files seem to be set up correctly.

3. Taking a suggestion from Richard, I comment out all lines in fstab,
let the system complain, and drop me into maintenance mode.  Here I
can manually start inetd, and get as far with telnet as:

Kernel 2.2.1 on a mips
Connection closed by foreign host

(I upgraded the system with the net-tools this morning, as suggested
by Karel in a post today.  I used the root= export/root and --ignorearch
options.  It should have installed correctly?)

4. As found by Matt Foster, I can "rsh <systemname> /bin/bash", and it
reports success.  But rlogin gives the same result as telnet.

Still trying...

Doug