Re: DECStation Blues

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation Blues
From: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:12:32 -0500
Cc: cjrice@cdc.net
C J Rice wrote:
> I recently purchased some used DECStations includeing a DECStation 3100.
> It has 12MB Ram and the firmware revision is KN01 V7.02.  The model is
> PM20-A8.  The processor looks like a MIPS R200060-16.  When it boots,
> diagnostics run from 7..6..5..4..3.. then a ?? with code F3 in the lights.

check to make sure you have a good ethernet connection to the machine, and
that your 3100 is set to use the right ethernet media (thinnet or AUI - it's
not autosensing, you have to use the button on the back)  Many old DEC
products will fail the POST if they don't see an ethernet link.  DEC
even made an AUT-to-nothing convertor they'd sell you if you didn't
have a LAN.

> Also, I've tried to boot (with tftp) version 2.1.14 of lynux
> (from dec_vmlinux.2.1.14.test4 zip file) to no avail.

That is YEARS old, and very early development.  Look at
        http://decstation.unix-ag.org/

The people who run the web page at fnet have not maintained it for years
and thus people like you end up wasting their time on these ancient
versions.  They really should just take the fnet page down, its
an embarasment.

> I also purchased a couple of the DECStation 5000/125 and DECStation
> 5000/200 units.  What is the pinout necessary to connect a keyboard /
> mouse to the things ??

You pretty much need the keyboards for them - I don't think they were
compatible with anything except MAYBE some odd VAXstation models.
The good news is that the hardware runs fine with serial console,
so they can be used headless.

> And finally, I also purchased several VAXes (a dirty word here no doubt).

Not dirty, just offtopic.

> Any one know of lynux for vax?

First it's called "linix" (the two 'i's and zero 'u's).

There are peple working on a VAX port of linux.  Check out the action at:
        http://www.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/~atp/linux-vax/

-Mitch