RE: serial console corruption

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: serial console corruption
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:40:06 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Gang,

On 12-Apr-99 Dave Airlie wrote:

> Hi,
>       I've gotten Linux 2.2.1-dec + my patches starting up on a
> DS5000/200 as far as a root mount, however my serial console is horrible
> corrupted, if I leave in the second printout through the prom the kernel
> messages are readable from that, but still the serial direct ones are
> crappy ..
> note in the excerpt below how the second lines are always corrupted,
> these
> are the lines printed by the serial driver, while the first lines are
> the
> ones from the prom,
>
> Does this happen on all Decstations or is just mine, i.e. is someone
> else
> fixing this or have it fixed?

Noone I'm aware of, except you, of course.

Dave, the dz driver was started by Olivier Lebaillif
<Olivier.Lebaillif@ifrsys.com> on a DS 3100 and brought to work on a DS
2100 by Thomas Riemer <triemer@apt4g.a3nyc.com>. As far as I know none of
these machines show this behaviour.

These machines are considerably slower than your /200 an it may happen that
you need to insert some delay()'s or that the writeback buffer becomes
visible. In that case you need to insert some wbflush()'es at strategic
places.

---
Regards,
Harald