RE: serial console corruption

Subject: RE: serial console corruption
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:40:06 +0200 (MEST)

On 12-Apr-99 Dave Airlie wrote:
> Hi,
>       I've gotten Linux 2.2.1-dec + my patches starting up on a
> DS5000/200 as far as a root mount, however my serial console is horrible
> corrupted, if I leave in the second printout through the prom the kernel
> messages are readable from that, but still the serial direct ones are
> crappy ..
> note in the excerpt below how the second lines are always corrupted,
> these
> are the lines printed by the serial driver, while the first lines are
> the
> ones from the prom,
> Does this happen on all Decstations or is just mine, i.e. is someone
> else
> fixing this or have it fixed?

Noone I'm aware of, except you, of course.

Dave, the dz driver was started by Olivier Lebaillif
<> on a DS 3100 and brought to work on a DS
2100 by Thomas Riemer <>. As far as I know none of
these machines show this behaviour.

These machines are considerably slower than your /200 an it may happen that
you need to insert some delay()'s or that the writeback buffer becomes
visible. In that case you need to insert some wbflush()'es at strategic