RE: Still Viable

To: Charles Dombek <cdombek@ninenet.com>
Subject: RE: Still Viable
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:16:04 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hello Chuk,

On 08-Apr-99 Charles Dombek wrote:
> I am currently working on setting up Linux on some aging DECstation
> 5000/240 machines and was wondering if there is a "procedure" for
> getting the system up and running. I have the Rough Cuts disc from Red
> Hat which allegedly contains the MIPS version but the documentation is
> non-existent or inconsistent. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not exactly shure but AFAIK the Rough Cuts CD from Redhat contains a
big endian Version, whereas the DECstations are little endian boxes.

Installing Linux on a DECstation isn't very easy. Anyway, here's a short
description (you'll need a working *nix box with bootp, tftp and nfs
servers):

o Get a crosscompiling environment from ftp://bolug.uni-bonn.de/mips/.
You'll find cross-egcs and cross-binutils there.

o Get the latest kernel source tree:
ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/linux-2.2.1-dec.tar.gz

o Build a kernel with the following .config

--- snip here ---
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_DECSTATION=y
CONFIG_CPU_R3000=y
CONFIG_CPU_LITTLE_ENDIAN=y
CONFIG_ELF_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_TC=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP=y
CONFIG_IP_NOSR=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_DECNCR=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DECLANCE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_ZS=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_ULTRIX_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_CROSSCOMPILE=y

--- snip here ---

"make dep netboot" builds a netbootable kernel image in
arch/mips/dec/boot/nbImage.

o Set up bootp and tftp servers on your intel-box, just like described on
http://decstation-unix-ag.org

o Switch your DECstation to serial console "setenv console s" on the PROM
prompt and connect a terminal or something similar to port #3, 9600 8N1,
no handshake.

o Boot with "boot 3/tftp/nbImage console=ttyS2", et voila :-). The kernel
should be up and running and panic with a "unable to mount root" message.

Still reading? Ok, on it goes :-).

o You can get a root image from
ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/declinuxroot-990128.tgz.
Unpack this on your Linux box into an arbitrary directory and export this
for NFS. Update your bootptab accordingly and the kernel should mount this
root image via NFS.

o It may happen that mount bombs out with a segmentation fault. If this is
the case, get a mount-*.rpm from
ftp://intel.cleveland.lug.net/pub/Mipsel/RPMS and install it.

If you like, you can destroy all your harddisk's content and fdisk,
prepare ext2 and swap partitions and unpack declinuxroot-990128.tgz on
your root partition. Disk booting isn't possible yet, but if you netboot
your kernel with, for example,
 "boot 3/tftp/nbImage console=ttyS2 root=/dev/sda"
the kernel should mount the hardisk as it's root filesystem.

Login via serial console doesn't work, too, but telnet will. You may want
to edit some rc files in that case.

We're still working :-).

Hope this helps and if you have further questions, feel free to ask me.
---
Regards,
Harald