RE: DECstation 5000/200 does it work?

To: Dave Airlie <airlied@csn.ul.ie>
Subject: RE: DECstation 5000/200 does it work?
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 11:07:19 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi Dave,

On 31-Mar-99 Dave Airlie wrote:

> Hi, I recently downloaded the linux-2.2.1-dec.tar.gz from
> ftp.linux.sgi.com, and cross-compiled it on my x86
>
> Whether I boot the kernel on a serial console or on the monitor/keyboard
> get
>
> KN02-AA V5.3c    (PC: 0x80061230, SP: 0x80ffbef0)
>>>boot 6/tftp
> 1204560+115392+105472
> Launching kernel...
> mips_memory_upper: 0x81000000
> This DECstation is a DS5000/200
> arcs_cmdline:
>
> I've turned on the PROM_DEBUG in the two files that have it, but at this
> point my system just hangs... any pointers?

Well, Dave, you're the first one who tries to run 2.2.1 on a DS 5k/200 so
this is not going to be a matter of compile'n'go.

The first thing you'll have to check is wether Thomas Riemer's dz driver
works for your /200 too. We don't have any framebuffer console drivers
actually, so please make shure to have support for serial console compiled
in (Virtual Terminal=n, Serial support=y, console on serial port=y,
DZ11=y). I'm not familiar with Tom's dz driver so you may need to pass
command line parameters to the kernel (console=ttySx, with x=[1,2,3]).

Things that definitely will need some hacking are the Ethernet and SCSI
drivers. Ethernet should be relatively easy but SCSI will need some more
work. Fortunately some guys including me have a PMAZ-A card so you're not
alone.

If you have further questions, fell free to ask me.

Happy hacking.
---
Regards,
Harald