Re: Deskstation TYNE motherboards

Subject: Re: Deskstation TYNE motherboards
From: Warner Losh <>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:01:35 -0700
Cc: Bruce Ellsworth <>
In message <> Bruce Ellsworth writes:
: I have several Deskstation TYNE motherboards out of Raptor plus machines
: that I would like to install MIPS Linux on.  I understand that
: development for this board is in the works but that a documentation
: and/or technical issue prevents much further progress.  I used to be a
: Deskstation dealer and know a few of the people at the company, so if
: there is anything I can do to help get the needed information please let
: me know.  The boards I have are also slightly different from the one
: described on the web page.  Specifically it uses an R4600 running at
: 150Mhz.

Actually, I'd have to say that the biggest problem right now is lack
of hardware in the hands of a competent hacker.  Although it wouldn't
hurt to have more docs, that isn't the big stumbling block right now.
OpenBSD/arc runs well on these machines, if you are looking for a
Unix-like OS.  Otheriwse, your best bet may be to donate/loan on of
these boards to a kernel hacker with time to make the port.