Re: Hello

Subject: Re: Hello
From: Michael Engel <>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:04:55 +0200 (MET DST)

> I have just aquired an Indy with a bust hard disk. It has no floppy
> drives, but it has a cdrom.

Nice ...

> Any idea what to do to make it work (aside
> from getting a new hard disk)? I have used Linux on PC's before but I have
> never seen an SGI before today!

I assume you intend to buy a harddisk for the Indy ? Any narrow SCSI
disk should work.

If you have another Unix machine on your network you can try netbooting the
Indy via bootp/tftp and run the installer via a ramdisk image or NFS root
file system. As my only SGI machine is a R3000 Indigo I never tried this
myself with a Linux kernel on SGI hardware but we managed to get sash (the
IRIX standalone shell) booted over the network on the Indigo.

        Michael Engel   (