Re: PDA-MIPS port?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: PDA-MIPS port?
From: "Paul M. Antoine" <paul@milleng.com.au>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 18:09:08 +1000
Hi gang,

Warner wrote:

> Briefly:
>
> Create a WinCE program that will read in ELF binaries.  Read in the
> binary into virtual memory using the Win32 apis.  Kick into kernel
> mode[*], touch each page building a page table by looking at the tlb.
> Seize total control of the processor.  Copy (and this is tricky) the
> pages to the right location using physical addresses using the page
> table you built before.  Create whatever boot args you need to pass to
> the kernel.  Call the boot address.
>
> This should get you loaded.  I've not solved the reboot problem (eg
> how do I reboot w/o having to reconfigure wince to get to the point
> that I can run this program again), nor have I actually run this
> stuff.
>
> I have much of this written.  I'm missing the WinCE specific parts :-)
>
> Also, I'm still working on getting a mips-hpc-wince target for
> gcc/egcs functional.  I found a start on the net, but it needed a lot
> of work to even build.
>
> Warner
>
> [*] Yes, user processes can do this on WinCE!

Perhaps this should form the basis for an FAQ page we could put up on the
MIPS web site, as we seem to have this question asked very frequently!!

Regards,
Paul
Paul M. Antoine                                 Millennium Engineering Pty Ltd
email: paul@milleng.com.au                              Phone: +61 2 9560 7331
large files: pantoine@nsw.bigpond.net.au                Fax:   +61 2 9560 8708