Re: DECstation bootloader

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation bootloader
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:24:51 +0200
On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 06:45:08PM +0200, Harald Koerfgen wrote:
> Not bad idea. We could make a small ffs partition as the first one, put the
> kernel on it and boot with the NetBSD bootloader at zero cost.

but keep in mind, that the Linux UFS filesystem code isn't ready for
prime time (at least the write support).

> Karel, I assume you have the new NetBSD bootblocks already on your box.
> Could you please check wether it's possible to boot an elf linux kernel
> with these?

I doubt it, but it may already boot ECOFF kernels. And even if this doesn't
work, you should be able to use the ELF loading stuff, I've added to
a NetBSD bootloader derivate for my Sun 3/80. I'm also looking into adding
ext2fs support to it, but this has to wait at the moment.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]