Re: DECstation bootloader

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation bootloader
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:45:08 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi,

On 29-Mar-99 Tor Arntsen wrote:
> Just to add to the many descriptions:
> On SGI, if you want to be able to boot from a disk, you are not allowed
> to put a partition for an ordinary file system (EFS or XFS) at 0.
> Instead you make a special partition starting at 0 which they call
> Volume Header (as far as I can tell this is still just a partition as
> any other).
>
> It's just a small partition where they store the 'sash' second stage
> boot
> loader, and whatever other stand-alone tools you would want there, like
> system testers, fx (disk partitioner) etc.
>
> You can make the partition as big as you want, usually it's one or two
> megabytes.  They use a special program to copy files to/from there.

Not bad idea. We could make a small ffs partition as the first one, put the
kernel on it and boot with the NetBSD bootloader at zero cost.

Karel, I assume you have the new NetBSD bootblocks already on your box.
Could you please check wether it's possible to boot an elf linux kernel
with these?
---
Regards,
Harald