Re: PDA-MIPS port?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: PDA-MIPS port?
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:10:14 -0700
In message <37000297.878A9BE5@hotmail.com> Kurt Kayser writes:
: I wonder, if anybody thought of porting Linux to the MIPS processor
: type that is used in some PDA hardware. Currently I can only find
: WinCE software that is available, and 'somewhat' limited in its
: flexibility. :-)

This has come up several times on this list.

There is a relatively private effort underway by some Japanese hackers
to put NetBSD on a NEC Mobile Gear 2 (a japanese only, MIPS Vr4111 or
Vr4121 based PDA).  They have a working boot loader which loads NetBSD
to a certain point.  Since I don't have any working PDAs right now
(I won a Everex E-10 on Ebay and am awaiting delivery), I've not tried
it, but have built the NetBSD kernel.  I've also added a serial driver
for the odd-ball debug serial port that the Vr4111 has.

I was corresponding with someone who was working on a Linux port, but
I haven't heard much from him lately.  I outlined how to write a boot
loader, and he wrote one, but I don't know how well it is working.

At this point, I'm tossing my hat in the NetBSD ring for this
project and will be unlikely to do Linux work in this area unless
someone gives me a contract to do that.

Warner