Re: DECstation bootloader

Subject: Re: DECstation bootloader
From: (Karel van Houten)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:02:52 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: (Houten K.H.C. van )
Harald Koerfgen wrote:
> I hate this as well but there are technical reasons to do so, I'm afraid
> :-(.
> AFAIK ext2, unlike ufs and ffs, doesn't reserve space for a bootloader
> except block 0 of a partition. I hope I am wrong here, but I haven't found
> anything in that direction.
> That means that a two stage boot process, like Ultrix and NetBSD do it, is
> a no go if you want to have an ext2 filesystem as the first partition on
> a disk.
> Maybe I am making the wrong assumptions here and I'd appreciate if someone
> with more knowledge of ext2 can correct me.

I don't know more about ext2fs, but I think an approach like silo for
sparclinux should be possible.

My ideas are as follows:
- Use MSDOS partition table, that only uses 66 bytes at the end of the
  first sector.
- Port the second stage loader of silo to DECStation linux.
- Use (a modified version of) Harald's bootprep to install a map table
  to load the second stage loader.
- I've already modified bootprep.c in such a way that it leaves my
  partition table in place, and can install 52 maps (instead of 61).

As an alternative, I'm trying to compile the netbsd loaders under linux.