Re: MIPS Magnum update

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum update
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:46:04 +0200
On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 01:30:29PM -0500, Ryan Rafferty wrote:
> However, after the "freeing unused memory" and "mounting root" messages
> the boot process halts without starting INIT.  I believe that is because I
> am using the old root-2 disk image plus some older RPMS for a boot disk;

possible.

> am I correct in assuming that I need to update the root image for use with
> newer kernels?  If so, can I use the RPMS from
> intel.cleveland.lug.net:/pub/Mipsel/RPMS (compiled for the Cobalt Qube) or
> must I use the RPMS for DECStations?

the Qube RPMs should work, but there are also a bunch of RPMs, which I've
built on my M700. You can find them on

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mipsel-linux/RPMS

> Once I get a working userland I will try to find the source for the Linux
> framebuffer X-server and see if it compiles on MIPS (or has this already
> been accomplished?).  Between FB compatibility on the G364 provided by
> Thomas and the standard PS/2 mouse on the Magnum I hope to have X running
> smoothly soon.

just get the RPMs for X, install it, and run X on your Magnum. No need to
compile it yourself:-) But there is still a small bug either in the kernel
code or in the X server. It corrupts the screen, when scrolling down (virtual
screen), but every 8 lines everything is fine.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]