RE: MIPS Magnum update

To: Ryan Rafferty <rraffer1@osf1.gmu.edu>
Subject: RE: MIPS Magnum update
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 22:27:44 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi Ryan,

On 28-Mar-99 Ryan Rafferty wrote:

> However, after the "freeing unused memory" and "mounting root" messages
> the boot process halts without starting INIT.  I believe that is because
> am using the old root-2 disk image plus some older RPMS for a boot disk;
> am I correct in assuming that I need to update the root image for use
> with
> newer kernels?  If so, can I use the RPMS from
> intel.cleveland.lug.net:/pub/Mipsel/RPMS (compiled for the Cobalt Qube)
> or
> must I use the RPMS for DECStations?

Well, that's one of the advantages of Linux/MIPS, binary compatibility. You
can use both :-).

Just in case you're having troubles with your root filesystem,

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/mipsel/root/declinuxroot-990128.tgz

might be a good start for a more up to date one.

Happy hacking.
---
Regards,
Harald