Re: DECstation bootloader

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation bootloader
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 12:45:42 -0700
Cc: K.H.C.vanHouten@research.kpn.com (Houten K.H.C. van)
In message <XFMail.990328182602.Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de> Harald Koerfgen
writes:
: Well, I don't like this too. On the other hand, I don't see any benefit
: from writing bootblocks or a two stage boot process when the PROM is able
: to handle this nicely for us.

You might want to look into the new bootblocks that were just
committed to the NetBSD tree.  They are quite powerful.  You will
likely not be able to get the PROMs to do everything you want on the
DECstations.  The NetBSD folks have been dealing with the boot problem
for literally years and likely have an excellent grasp on all the
subtle issues involve.

No slight intened against the people working on this, but I really
hate to see the wheel reinvented yet again :-(.

Warner